Monday, December 3, 2007

The Long and Winding Post

Four in a row and counting...

Four weeks ago I started to put together a post about what the playoffs would look like if the season had ended, with the Lions in at 6-2, and I was gonna show how they could make a miraculous run and make it to the Super Bowl. Once I started writing it, reality set in... I mean come on, this is the Lions we're talking about. I was holding out hope, and I wasn't gonna give up on them, but I've been conditioned after all these years to expect the worst. Well guess what... welcome to the world of the Detroit Lions fans. Now, four weeks (and four loses) later, here we are with the same old Lions. They can still win three of the last four and make the playoffs, and I'm holding out hope, but the schedule is gonna be tough...

Home against the Dallas Cowboys
At the San Diego Chargers
Home against the KC Chiefs
At the Green Bay Packers

Ugh... It looks like Jon Kitna's prediction is gonna end up being a little off. But hey, even if they can finish 8-8 it will be a huge improvement over the past many years. It's just a disappointing way to end the season after seeing a ray of hope. I'm trying to keep it in perspective though.


The loss of an American Icon...

On Friday Evel Knievel passed away. He was a defining part of pop culture during the 70's. It was always a big deal to see what kind of stunt he was gonna pull off next. I had all the Evel Knievel toys... the action figure, the motorcycle with the rev up crank that would shoot across the floor doing wheelies, the Evel Van that I kept all the stuff in...

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/12/01/1196394688218.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evel_Knievel

Losing part of my childhood is just a small reminder of how cruel time is... it's always moving forward, and it seems to keep moving faster. That time machine just hasn't shown up, no matter how hard I wish for it.

Washington Redskins...

That was a nice gesture by the Redskins over the weekend. They opened their first defensive play with only 10 players on the field. Since Sean Taylor couldn't take the field with his team, they left his spot empty. My heart goes out to them and Sean Taylor's family, as well as everyone else dealing with a loss or difficult time right now.

Another loss over the weekend...

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is my favorite Mario game, and I still play it a lot. Friday night however, it decided that it wasn't feeling well, and took a little nap for a few minutes. When it woke up, all of my saved worlds were gone. I imagine that after 12 years (God is it really that old) the internal battery is starting to give out. Anyways, I had finished the game a long time ago, so I could go back and play any world I wanted. Now I have to start over from the beginning. I've made my way back to world 3-1 so far, but it's still disappointing to lose all of that work. I just hope the battery doesn't give out again, but I'm sure it will, so I'll try to enjoy it while it lasts.

Too many losses this weekend, and I've been having kind of a tough time today, so...

To get away from the loss theme for a bit here...

I was channel surfing over the weekend, and I can now say I've seen the dumbest infomercial ever... Zorbeez - The Amazing Multi-Purpose Cloth

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/zorbeez402.html?gid=

This is just a pile of rags, people. I guess if you market it right, you really can sell anything. P.T. Barnum knew what he was talking about. On a side note, the commercial claims that they are machine washable. I guess you would have to wash one rag at a time all by itself, because if they are as amazing as the commercial claims, these rags will absorb all of the water in the washer ;-)

Sparty Power...

MSU is going bowling... YAY!!! Sure, it's just the weedwhacker bowl or something like that, but it's been a while since we've been to any kind of bowl, so I can't complain. Actually, it's the Champ Sports Bowl on December 28 in Orlando against Boston College... so the Sparty's are going to a bowl AND Disneyworld... how cool ;-) Also, congrats to CMU for winning the MAC and earning a trip to the Motor City Bowl against Purdue.

How About a Brew, Eh?...

While in Frankenmuth over the weekend I noticed that the Frankenmuth Brewery is closed and for sale. I'm not really a beer drinker, but that got me thinking... I should buy it so I could make a new brand... Whoopass beer. That way, when the guys are sitting around drinking, it would give a whole new meaning to the phrase "I'm gonna open me up a can of Whoopass tonight." If I market it right, people would buy it ;-)

No comments: