Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What Happened to TV Theme Songs?

Ok, I've already complained about the fact that there aren't any good (or even cheezy) heroes on TV anymore... I got that out of my system. But as I was thinking about it, it occurred to me, there's something else that's missing from today's TV shows... good theme songs. What happened to the days when you could sing along to the opening song to your favorite show, and it would even get stuck in your head and drive you crazy. There were some shows that I'd even watch just to hear the opening song, then change the channel to something else. I can't think of any shows on today with memorable songs. So, in keeping with the top 10 theme, I've put together my top 10 list (Actually top 21 this time) of the best TV theme shows. Each of these is linked to an audio sample from Amazon's website (Thanks Amazon), but be careful, it could get addictive. Also, it appears that these samples are all Windows Media Player format, so Firefox users may have a little trouble if you don't have a plug-in (Oh how I hate that... sorry. If you need to use Internet Explorer to listen, be sure to switch right back to Firefox afterwards. I don't want to encourage anyone to use IE on a regular basis).

So, anyways... Here's the story...

of a man named Brady...

Oops, getting a little ahead of myself... but I think I heard you starting to sing already.

21. Good Times

20. Cheers ('Where Everybody Knows Your Name')

19. The Facts Of Life

18. M-A-S-H (Suicide Is Painless)

17. All In The Family ('Those Were The Days')

16. Laverne And Shirley ('Making Our Dreams Come True')

15. Taxi ('Angela')

14. The Muppet Show

13. One Day At A Time

12. The Odd Couple

11. Happy Days

10. The Jeffersons ('Movin' On Up')

9. WKRP In Cincinnati

8. Gilligan's Island

7. Sanford & Son ('The Streetbeater')

6. Mary Tyler Moore

5. Barney Miller

4. The Brady Bunch

3. The Rockford Files

2. The Greatest American Hero ('Believe It Or Not')

1. Welcome Back, Kotter ('Welcome Back')


Welcome Back by John Sebastian reached number one on the charts in 1976 and was the second largest selling single for the year.

No comments: